
I want to thank my good friend AVTcoach for honoring me with a wonderful blogger award!
My friend, I'm not sure I rock, but if I remotely resemble someone who does..I think I owe YOU some of the credit!
You see, for those of you who aren't aware, my sweet baby girl Malia was diagnosed at 2 1/2 years old with a a severe hearing loss. With that dx, I was, in a word...shellshocked. I remember coming home that spring afternoon and just lying across my bed sobbing as if the world was about to come to an end. All the dreams, hopes, and preconceived plans I had for her were dashed in an instant. The weeks following our heart wrenching news were a blur. Oh yeah, sure, I went through the motions. Took Miss M to get earmolds for those ugly hearing aids, smiled my best fake smile when everyone around me told me how great things were going to be..yada, yada, yada.
Once we got the hearing aids we then had to set up therapy. Yeah. I remember that day driving to her first appointment thinking, Ok, I'll drop her off, go grab a treat at Walgreen's then sit in my car and wait until her therapy was over. We walk in and make our introductions with Malia's speech therapist. I keep waiting for that pause in conversation where she says "ok, thanks mom...we'll be done in an hour" but instead I pull up a chair and our new therapist puts me to work! Say what?! That was the day I woke up and and everything started to come into focus. It was gonna be a joint effort to get Malia to speak and listen and there were no views from the cheap seats to sit in on this ride! I remember that first visit feeling very intrusive. Who WAS this woman to ask such nosey questions, I thought to myself.
Well, 4 plus years later let me tell you who THIS woman IS....she is the one person who helped me plant my feet firmly and gave me hope that Malia can do amazing things, but she needs my help. And not just for an hour at therapy once a week. Every mundane detail of our lives were going to be put under a microscope and brought into focus for the sole purpose of getting language into my daughters veins. This woman helped me see when hearing aids weren't working well enough and explained that if I truly wanted Malia to mainstream with her peers, our only option were cochlear implants. She sat on the phone with me while I cried my eyes out when I realized she was right. She has held my hand every step of the way and even though Malia has "graduated" from her speech sessions, she still checks in on us and wants to know where and how she can help.
W - Thank you for your professionalism, thank you for your sincerity, and thank you for being bold enough to get us here. You were so right about Malia. She is a treasure and we marvel how we got so lucky.
Now...I'm suppose to award someone else...but after this long post how can I?? W- YOU ROCK...PERIOD!

6 comments:
Dana I agree YOU do rock! Sometimes it's hard for a mom to think that they rock but let me tell you from someone outside looking in. DANA YOU ROCK!!!!
Okay, the award was supposed to be ALL ABOUT YOU! and then I read this post and I am now bawling MY eyes out on my bed!!! You and Chad are my heros you know and I feel like Malia is mine too. Thank you for this sweet post. It will sure give me encouragement to get the next family down the road. It is not an easy job to meet a family for the first time when they are struggling with the news. I try to be gentle and understand, but I cannot possibly understand. I do however have a passion for accompanying families on the journey and it was a privilege to be with yours!!
What a great post, I feel like I know more about you now. That's what I love about blogging.
You do rock!
Oh, Dana. I do remember those days, except no one would ever know about you crying your eyes out. Me? I would have wailed and screamed and beat on all my neighbors' doors and told the lady at the grocery checkout, etc, how tragic my life was. But not you. What I remember: a brief comment about this new dx for M, and we are off to get h/a's, and we can do this!! Never a crack. I tear up now. EVERY TIME I think about Malia hearing the toilet flush, I tear up. You cried your eyes out, sure, but you showed grace to the world. Maybe that is what this award is all about.
Very nice new blog design!!!
Great blog! I hope you'll consider adding it to the aggregator at Deaf Village (www.deafvillage.com) -- we'd love to have you as part of our community!
Post a Comment